Mary first came to Santa Barbara in 1945 to join the Art Department at UC Santa Barbara. She earned her BA in art as well as her teaching certificate. She stayed in SB for the rest of her life, except for a ten year period (1991 to 2001) when she relocated to Bishop CA in order to pursue her painting career.
Mary left Santa Barbara and lived in the Eastern Sierras from 1991 to 2001. She wanted to grow her painting skills as she surrounded herself with the most beautiful and dramatic scenery in California.